ljwahl's Content

There have been 47 items by ljwahl (Search limited from 09-May 23)

Sort by                Order  

#23400 Not Purchasing a Pen

Posted by ljwahl on 06 April 2013 - 12:09 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Nah-- it's goofy, but I completely understand it. I think it's because we enjoy working with these old pens so much that when we find one that's not quite right for us, we know there must be another collector out there who would certainly enjoy it. And to leave it languishing in a case means keeping that little bit of pleasure out of the world.

#23425 Parker Vacumatic Damage

Posted by ljwahl on 07 April 2013 - 12:51 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Widget: sorry to see the damage on that beautiful vac-- agree with Ron's final theory that it's damage leftover from original production.

David: fascinating reading and a continuing interest of mine. The item you bolded, about air circulation, is why I've always been suspect of cigar box storage for pens, or any other type of sealed box.

#23630 Lucky Find That Almost Wasn't

Posted by ljwahl on 14 April 2013 - 08:56 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Wow, wow, wow!

#23673 What is this Waterman?

Posted by ljwahl on 16 April 2013 - 01:27 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Good Evening, All:

Just picked this up, based on one photo:
Posted Image
and an equally vague description-- "old Watermans pen"

Anyone care to guess with me? A basic 52?

Will update when I can, and thanks!

#23698 What is this Waterman?

Posted by ljwahl on 16 April 2013 - 10:59 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Thanks, David-- am hoping it turns out to be just as you described.

Larry

#24090 Some Recent FInds

Posted by ljwahl on 27 April 2013 - 02:06 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Thought I'd share some recent finds-- the first confirming guesses from an earlier post:
Posted Image
A very clean, smooth hard rubber Waterman 52 with gold-filled trim. No surprises, easy restoration, and nice fine nib.

Next, a wide-band Skyline set, found completely blackened from tarnish, in a junk box in the back of an old hardware store in a tiny village nearby:
Posted Image

Finally, a very interesting Sheaffer Balance, shown at the lower position in this group of similar pens:
Posted Image

What's interesting? Well, take a closer look at the symbol on the barrel:
Posted Image

That's the Gregg shorthand symbol, and this is the fattest Balance I've yet seen-- cap goes right over the threads of the early Touchdown pen, pictured above the pen in question in the picture. (I do not have an oversized model for comparison.) Price stamped 1250. Thoughts?

#24096 Some Recent FInds

Posted by ljwahl on 27 April 2013 - 03:19 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Yes, David, sorry I forgot to mention the white dot, which is indeed at the very top of the cap. And thanks for reminding us all about proper use regarding Balance and Valiant labels.

What about the size? Because it is wider in diameter than even the TD, is this oversize in some way? The cap threads are not even close. Also, looking at David N's article on his site about Sheaffer Gregg pens, and thinking about shorthand in general, isn't it a bit unusual to see such a large (manly) pen marketed for what was no doubt a mainly female occupation? Or am I way off here?

Finally, I am really pleased to find the 52 in the shape it arrived-- first time I've decided to keep trim and nib exactly as found. The patina is just right!

Larry

#24127 Some Recent FInds

Posted by ljwahl on 28 April 2013 - 03:04 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Thanks for your research, Matt, and your comments. Always figured the Triumphs to be either the very wide banded celluloid pens or the almost-as-wide solid colored pens, as pictured in your first ad. The band on mine makes me lean toward Valiant.

it is, nonetheless, a great pen to write with!

Larry

#24186 Things from Greenwich Market

Posted by ljwahl on 29 April 2013 - 12:46 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Wonderful report and excellent finds-- from your simple first to your spectacular last.

Happy hunting!

#24325 They're at it again over at the FPN..

Posted by ljwahl on 30 April 2013 - 04:19 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

There is a park nearby, started out as just a little piece of land with a nice view, really, that the town set aside for the folks who couldn't afford to own a piece of that view. Then came a paved parking lot, a little set of bathrooms, some picnic tables-- and people were really enjoying the place. An old-timer was even hired to keep everything nice.

When he put a flower bed at the edge of the parking lot, people smiled. When a little sign popped up in that flower bed, "Keep out of the flowers!" well, it seemed to make sense. Then another showed up in the bathroom, over the waste basket, "Throw trash in this basket!" And another over the light switch, "Turn out the lights!" And another next to the little community bulletin board where people posted announcements, "Postings must be approved! Do not put anything here until stamped, or they will be taken down!" And I won't even take the time to capture the signs next to the picnic tables or gazebo, because by now you surely get the point.

I don't go there anymore.

#24512 51 Demi Vac-- The Perfect Pen...

Posted by ljwahl on 03 May 2013 - 12:41 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I recently finished grading fifty, 10-page research papers-- it was quite an ordeal. What made it easier, however, was the 51 Demi Vac I had recently restored.
Posted Image

The point is fine to extra-fine for editing and notes, and the balance is perfect when the cap is posted. As someone who normally doesn't post caps, when I grade research papers it sometimes becomes a problem because I carry the papers wherever I go (like a travel tourney for my son's team). With the demi, the cap is never at risk because it's right there on the pen! Also, if I'm not wearing a dress shirt, the demi size is more likely to fit in a shallow shirt pocket, or travel comfortably in a zippered jacket pocket or clipped to the collar of a t-shirt. And the normal girth makes it comfortable in the hand.

Too bad Parker only made this for such a short time!

#24513 Parker A3X nib

Posted by ljwahl on 03 May 2013 - 01:23 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I have a similar pen with an "A3X" nib, which I'd call a medium with just a bit of flex. The nib also carries the "Lucky Curve" imprint.

The pen itself is black chased hard rubber, and is imprinted with the large "Lucky Curve" banner and a patent date of 4-25-11

Interestingly, the "guts" were removed so the pen could function as an eyedropper. Haven't decided yet whether I should try to restore the button fill or to try it as is.

I, too, would love to see this nib coding cracked!

#24515 Waterman's "Prohibition Pen"

Posted by ljwahl on 03 May 2013 - 01:31 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Excellent sleuthing, David! Thanks for this, and all the research available on your site!

Larry

#24531 eBay Watch: Conklin Endura

Posted by ljwahl on 03 May 2013 - 11:16 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Well, I think black and bronze is the color. Looks like a very nice pen, but overpriced given the context-- especially with no returns accepted. In your favor, however, is the seller's approval rating and excellent photos.

What are your thoughts, Brian?

Larry

#24561 51 Demi Vac-- The Perfect Pen...

Posted by ljwahl on 03 May 2013 - 07:46 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I grade with my Demi 51, too! Easy to flip open, easy to hide in a pocket, and one of the best writers I have for a smooth fine line.It does not, however, make my comments any more legible! Thankfully I only have eight final papers this semester, but am not gloating, because it all comes around.

Glad you agree!

While I'm not much of a fan of the shorter variety, it's cool they exist for others that have a better use. If you like that size, it's fairly easy to find Aero Demi pens, if you don't mind them not being Vacs.

I'm usually not a fan, either, John, but for the use specified nothing beats it-- and while I have several aero demis, they don't work the same for me because of their slimmer girth.

#24574 New Arrivals - Pen/Pencil Sets

Posted by ljwahl on 04 May 2013 - 01:12 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Wow-- both beautiful.

I must say, however, that you've got it reversed-- the Nassau set is the grail set, not the Esterbrook set. Oh wait-- that's me! :)

At any rate, congratulations!

Larry

#24769 A Lead on a Lucky Curve floor display

Posted by ljwahl on 06 May 2013 - 06:22 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I saw this case in a shop near Buffalo, NY, this weekend.

Posted Image

Too big and too expensive for me (I think the store owner said $425), but if any of you are interested please send me a PM and I will forward you the owner's contact information.

No connection of any kind, but the case sure looked neat and the owner seemed a reasonable man.

I do note there are no shelves. I took a quick peak around back, and I'm pretty sure there is a drawer or two, plus a door for access. Whole thing seemed in quite nice shape.

If I've posted this in the wrong spot, dear old admin, please feel free to move!

#24783 My first Vacumatic

Posted by ljwahl on 06 May 2013 - 11:41 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Welcome-- and welcome to vintage Parkers! Both Vacumatics and 51s are exceptional pens. It really comes down to personal preference. I love them both, but for function the 51 wins for me. Aesthetically, while very different I'd argue they're both masterpieces of design.

Once you get your new pen, let us know what you think.

#24869 By gum, it might be a plum!

Posted by ljwahl on 08 May 2013 - 05:35 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

This is the auction photo of a mixed lot I picked up today for not a lot of money-- what do you think of that center pen?

Posted Image

Will post an update when it arrives.

#25013 Ebay Sheaffer Sumgai or Dumbai...

Posted by ljwahl on 12 May 2013 - 01:01 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Wow-- excellent pick, David. With the engraving on that cap, is that the "Award" cap (if that's the correct term) that shows up occasionally? Or is it "just" fancier engraving because its 14k-- something between the gold-fill caps and the full-on Award cap?

Great find either way!

#25124 By gum, it might be a plum!

Posted by ljwahl on 14 May 2013 - 11:47 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Plum it is-- demi sized.

Pics to follow!

#25196 Parker Filigree Jotter and the New York World's fair (1964 - 1965)

Posted by ljwahl on 15 May 2013 - 11:57 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Wow-- excellent research-- thanks very much for putting together this clear and complete report.

Perhaps if any reader has such a Jotter he will post a pic!

#25217 By gum, it might be a plum!

Posted by ljwahl on 15 May 2013 - 11:39 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

As promised, here is a picture of the demi plum to the right of a full-sized 1948 burgundy aero in daylight:

Posted Image

Over the years, I've pulled out one or the other of my burgundy 51s and wondered if it weren't, in fact, a plum-- but the difference in person is striking. The purple is no-doubt-different.

By the way, also included in the lot are (from top to bottom in original picture):
1. A Waterman 52V, badly worn and discolored, with a missing clip and chunk out of the cap lip the size of a thumbnail-- but with a great nib, section, and lever box.
2. A no-name "Caravan" with no cap and plated nib. Probably a good j-bar in there...
3. The Plum, demi-size, worn imprint but perfect full chrome filler, and perfect fine nib.
4. A Midnight Blue, full-size 51 Aero, 1950, without cap and with the first-ever bad pli-glass sac I've encountered. I'll use the pen to try one of David N's new sacs. The nib has a bit of a turned-up nose, like someone pressed the pen to paper too strongly, but it's all there.
5. A capless Eberhard Faber lever-filler, with a nice 14K nib-- a bit misshapen but with flex. If any of you want this, let me know and I'll send it along.

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting!

#25760 ebay watch

Posted by ljwahl on 29 May 2013 - 03:16 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Ok-- I'm not seeing anything here-- maybe a demonstrator Jotter pencil?

The 51 "pencil" is Liquid Lead, the 45 is a soft tip....

Even the 51 pen cap has the clip line running the circumference.

What am I missing?

#28193 New Acquisitions.... And Questions

Posted by ljwahl on 03 September 2013 - 12:02 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I'd say you did very well-- that medallion on the cap of the 61, visible only in the first pic, indicates a first edition. The 51 probably has a fine nib and feed-- the hood is just twisted (maybe screwed off a 1/4 turn?), or the hood was off at some point, the nib and feed rotated, and the hood reassembled-- either way should be an easy fix.

Your total price would have been OK for either one of these pens alone, assuming the plastic and arrow of the 61 are ok. Together, with a couple of Wearevers thrown in for a bonus-- you got a very good bargain.

As to refrosting-- I'd say live with them a bit and see if you find it really necessary. I've not found a reliable way to do it on my own; a green Scotch Brite pad will give you a scratch finish, but it's really nothing like either the original scratch finish (vac caps) or the etched finish (aerometric caps). I've only used one on a couple of caps that just had very inconsistent finishes, and I didn't want to send them out. I have like-new caps and well-worn caps, and I enjoy them all as they are.